Monday, April 10, 2006

same old argument?

I thought I would share my response to a conversation on another board (www.5thL.com). The original poster was complaining that he didn't want to spend $25 to see I'm paraphrasing "just another poetry show with the same peformers as the last time". He's referring to the 2nd! poetry production at Center Stage on May 6th. ***************
I'd just like to say that I find the "Lyrical Soul" people and performers utterly inspiring.
So much so that after seeing their performances and feeling their commitment, it gave me the boost to go forward with projects I wanted to undertake.
I agree strongly with "a real supporter" these talented folks aren't going to be around doing the $5 venues for a lot longer. And they shouldn't have to. They've been paying their dues for years now.
I couldn't be happier that financial support has come their way and make these productions possible. To me its a very big deal that poets are performing regularly now at a "swanky" venue like Center Stage.
Do you know what it says about their professionalism, that they are able to continue producing shows like this?
I wish more people understood the big picture. Could see that events like these give poetry, and arts in general, economic clout? Do you know how important that is? When government officials and mega corporations look for where they want to spend their money, they are going to look to places and projects that will bring them a return on their investment. If Center Stage can consistently fill ALL their seats with the same set of performers, those performers, the production crew, the people behind getting the show off the ground, will reap the rewards.BUT the part thats overlooked is that the people with money will then look for other similar projects to invest in and hope to get the same success.
Where do you want to see money spent? On bigger sports stadiums? Luxury housing? More shopping malls?
No you want a fairer distribution. Artistic pioneers are a great investment. The government and the corporations only see dollars. Which means that if we want our artists to drive our economy, than we have to support them. We have to support them with our dollars first. We have to sit in the seats, and buy the discs or the artwork and show the world at large that we value their craft.
No one said it was easy or fair or just. But the bottom line is if we want to see a change in what gets valued, we have to bring that change.
If you don't want to see the same performers over and over, buy a ticket for a friend. Or buy one and give it to a neighbor. Or buy one and auction at your local church or other favorite charity. Be creative.
Or take an hour of your day to pass out flyers with your personal recommendation. Or ask if you can volunteer to help the production in some way.
If you value your performers, especially local performers of such high caliber, you will find ways to support them. Particularly if you want their success to trickle down to the community at large.
I'm off my soap box now and I hope I make sense and not make any one angry.

No comments: